- Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves. You lust for what you don't have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn't yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it. You wouldn't think of just asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you'd be asking for what you have no right to. You're spoiled children, each wanting your own way. James 4:1-3 (MSG)
- ...God does not see the same way people see. People look at the outside of a person, but the Lord looks at the heart. I Samuel 16:7 (NCV)
TALK IT OVER
- This week we learned the 4 steps we take when idols overtake our heart. When we allow an idol in our heart, we DESIRE things we shouldn't, DEMAND more than is right, MANIPULATE people and play the part of God, and PUNISH others to get back at them because we're not getting our way. Can you see where conflict in your own life has resulted because you were "stuck" in one of these steps?
- Think of the most difficult things for you since the stay-at-home order began. What desires do you have that you feel haven't been met in your life?
- You can tell when a desire is turning into a sinful demand by asking yourself a few questions:
- What am I preoccupied with? What is the first think on my mind in the morning and the last thing on my mind at night?
- How would I complete the statement: 'If only I had... or I could _______________, THEN I would be happy.'
- Where do I put my trust?
- What do I fear?
- What do I want to avoid?
- When a certain desire isn't met, do I feel frustrated, anxious, depressed, or angry?
- Is there something I desire so much that I'm willing to disappoint or hurt others in order to have it?
- "Whatever you can't get enough of, THAT'S your god." What do you think of that statement? What are some ways you can cultivate your love and passion for God, to keep idols from forming in your heart?
LIVE IT OUT
- Ask God to reveal any idol(s) you have in your heart, and then ask Him to help you focus more on Him instead.
- Do something FUN with the people you're quarantined with. If you're alone, then call someone or Facetime. Don't allow the stay-at-home order make things worse in your relationships, or your house. This week, focus on the people around you. Sacrifice your time. Turn your phone off for a day and spend time with the people you love.
For more conversation and connection, join us any day of the week at facebook.com/vector.church.